July 5, 2015

Hello!

Hi there.  I know, it's been a long time since I was here.  I didn't mean to be away for so long.  I gave thought to abandoning my little blog, and also gave thought to sneaking in a post and pretending that I haven't been so absent.  Rumor has it that not many people read blogs any more.  I hope that isn't true, but honestly, I haven't been reading many blogs myself.  I follow many of you on Instagram, though, and have been able to keep up with you there. 

I'm still working full-time at a law firm.  For a few months, I also worked on a huge quilting project that took almost every spare minute, and I had to give up a lot of things to get it finished.  Things like blogging, reading, housekeeping, lunch hours and, occasionally, shaving my legs. 

A few weeks ago, I was finally able to take a short trip with my mom and aunt to Savannah, Georgia.  Such a beautiful city with so much history.

 
 
My mom and aunt were searching for Gullah sweetgrass baskets that are found in the Savannah/Charleston area.  We went walking along River Street, and found Oji Lukata.  Oji is a gracious man whose family has been sewing sweetgrass baskets for generations.  Here is Oji with my mom who is still so excited about her basket and thrilled to have met Oji.  And below the photo is a short video on the tradition and history of these baskets.




From Savannah, we took a short drive to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina to visit Michael Smalls who also makes sweetgrass baskets.  We found Michael sewing a basket while sitting in a shady area on the grounds of the Coastal Discovery Museum.  We didn't have a lot of time to spend at the museum and, since it felt like 140 degrees in the shade, exploring the grounds may not have been a brilliant idea anyway.  I would love to go back to the museum when the weather is cooler.  It's an incredibly beautiful place surrounded by towering live oaks draped in moss.  Here are photos of Michael and my aunt, and the front of the museum. 


I'm slowly getting back to quilting.  Very, very slowly.  Have you ever slowly worked on three projects at once?   My progress is almost invisible without time lapse photography.  But I'm enjoying being able to sew just for fun, and working on some long-term projects.  One of my projects is Lissa Alexander's Rainbow Rows quilt that she made for American Patchwork & Quilting's Go Four It quilt-along.  Tee-tiny little four-patch blocks set on point.  I haven't even bothered to check the number of four-patch blocks I'll need for a whole quilt.  I'm sure it's like eight thousand or something.  I just make a few when the mood strikes, and watch the stack grow.  Slowly. 


That's pretty much everything I've been up to, all in one post.  I'll be working on some fun things to share with you soon.  Until then, take care and have a great summer!

Kim

29 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely to see your blogging............I only read blogs and do as much as I always have done.........its the only social media I use.........
lovely trip with your mum..........
the 4 patch is going to look great..........

KatieB said...

Welcome back. I still read blogs (although not as frequently as I used to,)

KaHolly said...

How nice to see your posting again. I'm still reading blogs, too. Enjoyed your pics!

Angie said...

I still read blogs, too and it was nice to see a new post from you! I do use Instagram, but somehow a blog post is usually a little more personal and a little more informative. Life already goes by at too quick a pace - I don't need everything in my life to be instant! That's what's so great about quilting - slowing down and enjoying the pace of it all. There are still several Kim Brackett quilts on my "to do" list - I hope to get at least one of them started soon!

Debbie said...

Good to see you back. I just updated by blog reading list and noticed it had been awhile since you had posted. Glad to hear it was good things in life keeping you busy.

lvkwilt said...

I still read blogs also...no Instagram for me! No time to shave your legs tells it all, doesn't it? That is when you know you're too busy! So glad you're back!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I'm glad you are back to blogging too! Love your pile of 4 patches! I started making them too but then 'summer' happened. :-o Love those baskets! Have a great week!

Michele said...

Glad you're back to blogging! I don't blog much either, just here and there. Your APQ quilt looks amazing!!!

Sherri said...

Fun to see what you've been up to!

IG is definitely easier than a blog, but I think we all get so much more from a blog post!

I'll keep following both places!

I'd love to visit Savannah one day too!

a good yarn said...

Delighted to have you back Kim! Savannah looks like a terrific place to visit (definitely on my list.) I'm afraid I don't understand the difference between blogging and Instagram. Aren't both just words and pictures? If Instagram is where the action is and your business relies on reaching the majority of people then perhaps that influences your decision. I've been working on a EPP quilt for nearly five years now plus other projects from 2012. Just finished a quilt that started in 2010. By comparison, you are rocketting along!

Little Quiltsong said...

Enjoyed your blog. I'm still a blog reader! Loved all your pictures with info. Found it all very interesting. I have two baskets that my grandfather made over in Europe from Willow Branches. I treasure them.

Susan said...

I am an avid blog reader too! I lamented the demise on my blog a few weeks back and was heartened by the support from those who ONLY read blogs! So we still have a voice and an audience! Love those baskets! And the pretty patchwork squares are just delightful!

Janan Doster said...

I love to read your blog!
Thanks for coming back!
Love the scrappy 4 patches!!

Ginger said...

Thanks for the link to that museum. We are going to HH later this summer.
I still read blogs. I keep hearing that blogs are dead, but I don't agree with that at all. I can't get into Instagram. I would rather read blogs. Have a great summer!

Trudi said...

There's so much more in a blog post than a quick pic can convey on IG, Im slowly getting back to mine too, I think there's room for both. Look forward to seeing more xx

paront1222@comcast.net said...

I still read blogs :)

Thank you so much for posting that video. I have this LOVE for baskets that my family just doesn't get....I've even made a dozen or so. I made my kids each an easter basket that they've always used and I hope as they have kids they use mine. I need to take a trip down and check out the baskets you posted about!!!

Don't stop blogging......

Peggy

Susan said...

I still read blogs. I love your tiny four patches! Thanks for sharing and don't stop blogging! I usually work on three or four projects at one time, can't get bored. Your Picnic pattern is one that I play with from time to time.

Lori said...

Lovely to hear from you. Savannah looks beautiful! I've never been to Georgia, but would love to visit. The baskets are so cool!

Rebecca said...

Read Blogs Do not do insta-whatsit....
Every morning I make a cup of hot or glass of cold tea and set down to enjoy the post of the previous 24 hours.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Of course I still read blogs. I don't blog as often as I should, but I do read blogs. I learned to quilt reading blogs, and I continually find encouragement and inspiration at that same place!

Lovely post, by the way, and I really enjoyed learning a bit about the sweetgrass baskets. They are beautiful.

Jeanna said...

Hi, Kim.

So nice to get this update from you. I follow you on IG too so I already saw the wonderful and colorful squares you have going.

Savannah and Sweetgrass baskets are a couple of my favorites, too! The baskets are almost too pretty to be useful but they are and they last forever!

Til next time...

Thimbleanna said...

Hey Good News -- it looks like you have 7950 four patch blocks! ;-P They're looking spiffy! So nice to see you back. I love IG, but it's so nice to read a blog post for the details -- there's just not enough room on IG. And the pictures are prettier on blogs most of the time too ;-D

Anthea said...

Kim I'm definitely a blog reader, although I do look at Instagram every now & then.
What a pretty pile of 4-patches, it sure does sound like you'll need a lot of them for your project.
Lovely pics from Savannah!

Jocelyn said...

Been missing you! I still read blogs, as I don't do facebook. I do have Instagram and stay up to date with lots of quilters that way. Keep on quilting :-)

Karen said...

So happy to see you back. Love those little four patches!!

Michelle said...

I read blogs because you get more than just a snip of info. There are real stories on blogs. Good to see you back.

Hanif Khan said...

good (y) Love those little four patches

Claudia/Ompompali said...

Just let me tell you that I found you and your blog only today and got stuck here because I have been reading from start to end! I only read blogs because instagram makes me dizzy with so many pictures and so few words. I would love to come back and continue reading about you and your work. Thank you so much for posting and for sharing so many ideas on quilting. It's a joy! Gretings from Germany

Darlene ~Bloggity Blogger~ said...

I too have a pile of 4 patch blocks. I am such a scrap hoarder... But, since I have retired, I have reduced my scrap stash to - well - scraps. I cut all the 6" squares that I can from a scrap, then I cut 3", 4" or 2 1/2" patches and store them according to size. I am on top of my 2 1/2" pieces, having turned them all into 4 patch blocks and joining them into larger blocks as I go along. It might take me the rest of my retirement, but I have been determined to (one day) make a whole postage stamp quilt before I die. Now I know what to do with all of those left over strips less than 2 1/2" wide. Woot woot...