December 4, 2015

Update on Recipe Cards Fabric

A while back, I told you I was taking Bonnie Christine's Skillshare class on surface pattern design.  I had borrowed my grandmother's recipe book with the idea that I would somehow print her handwritten recipes on tea towels.  If you missed the original post, you can find it here.  Without any previous experience using Adobe Illustrator, I thought it would close to impossible to learn how to navigate the program well enough to create anything but circles and squares.  Bonnie, however, is an incredible teacher.  Her class covers everything from opening a new document to creating an interesting repeating pattern.  And lots of stuff in between.  The entire process was fascinating, and I'm now able to do things with Illustrator that I never would have learned on my own.

After I finished the recipe card design, I used the re-color tool that automatically changes the placement of the colors, then selected three different prints to upload to Spoonflower for printing on fabric.  Here's how they turned out. 

 
 
When I first started quilting by machine, I really, really wanted to learn how to quilt feathers.  So I drew them on paper until my brain learned to sew them.  While I was learning to draw directly in Illustrator recently, I kept thinking of a particular feather design that I've used for a few of my quilts, and ended up making a repeating feather pattern.  Here are my new feather fabrics.



It's so much fun to start with a blank computer screen and end up with fabrics that are unique and meaningful.  If you ever considered it, but didn't know where to start, just enroll in Bonnie's class -- she'll tell you everything you need to know.  And if I can answer any questions about how to get started there, just ask. 

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Kim

19 comments:

Vickie E said...

awesome! thanks for sharing this and the information for Bonnie's class.

Jennifer said...

Love your fabrics - especially those feathers! You might want to place a call to Moda!

Karen said...

I'm so happy you did it!!! They look beautiful, can't wait to see them.

Janan Doster said...

So glad you printed your dream. What a great family treasure.
Thanks for the info on the computer program too!

Lori said...

That is amazing! Love the recipe cards!! A real treasure!!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow. Just WOW!

I LOVE your sweet fabrics. Both the recipes and the feathers -- they're perfect. I would love to do something like that with recipes -- you're brilliant!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I can use the feather fabric for a background or a backing, and then just stitch over the lines. Feathers quilted on my quilt. Very pretty designs. Stephani in N. TX (Tomazec@aol.com)

Linda Christianson said...

What sweet fabric that would be fun to practice with. Where can I buy some?

Linda Christianson said...

I did not realize the recipes were on fabric! What beautiful fabric. If Moda won't then I would try Connecting Threads. If it is the problem that it is not all your art work because of the flowers around the recipes then O My!

Nicci P said...

I love the recipe card idea. You are inspired!

Brenda Gale Thompson said...

Love your recipe fabrics! WHat a great idea! And they turned out so well! Could you please do a post with some of the finished things you made for your relatives?

Way to go!!!
Brenda

Satta King said...

Sivanta greens
Omni amayra city
vrs district one
Hero homes mohali
2 bhk flat in noida
2 bhk flat in greater noida
office space in noida
office space for rent in greater noida

jobinwason said...

ISO 22000:2018 is an international management standard developed with a high-level structure to ensure food safety and to enhance the Food Safety Management System (FSMS) of an organization. Visit ISO 22000 Certification

logistics service in india said...

logistics services in india
supply chain management in india

Kira Roza said...

Let me share my experience with dove, Dove has been a part of my household for as long as I can remember and since I have very sensitive skin Dove soap as well as the rest of their line of products work well for me.Until I had a skin cancer were I was recommended to Dr Itua herbal center to undergo three weeks treatment which really cured my skin cancer and today I'm completely cured from skin cancer also I will recommend Dr Itua herbal center to anyone with any types of cancer or disease and infections to contact Dr Itua herbal center on his website https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/ or email him directly to his email address drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com to order your herbal medicine of any types to heal.

Anonymous said...

من المهم لمصانع المنتجات الغذائية الاهتمام بالعبوات البلاستيكيه التي يوضع فيها المنتج ولهذا فيجب البحث جيدا عن مصانع عبوات بلاستيك pet حيث مادة البولي ايثيلين تريفثالات هي من المواد المصرح استخدامها دولياً في المنتجات الغذائية بسبب عدم حدوث اي تفاعل بينها وبين المنتج مما سيحافظ علي جودة المنتج وعدم تلفه.

CLADING2222 said...

شيش حصيرة زنكاليوم هو عبارة عن مظلة مصنوعة من الحصيرة وتستخدم في الأماكن المفتوحة لتوفير الظل والحماية من أشعة الشمس. وتتكون مكونات شيش الحصيرة من:

1- حبال: تستخدم لربط شيش الحصيرة بالأعمدة أو المسامير.

2- أعمدة: تستخدم لتثبيت شيش الحصيرة في المكان المراد تركيبه.

akndesigngroup said...

Really liked your content . Hope to read more of your content. Now it's time to avail Interior Painting Services in Fort Worth TX for more information.

Anonymous said...

عملية تحويل مسار المعدة هي إجراء جراحي متقدم يهدف إلى تقليل حجم المعدة وتغيير مسار الطعام داخل الجهاز الهضمي. يتم ذلك من خلال إجراء فتحات صغيرة في البطن باستخدام المنظار الجراحي، مما يقلل من حجم المعدة ويقلل من امتصاص السعرات الحرارية. تتميز عملية تحويل المسار بفوائد عديدة، بما في ذلك تحسين الوزن وعلاج مرض السكري، وذلك من خلال تحسين وظائف البنكرياس وتحفيز إفراز هرمونات التحكم في الشهية. يتفاوت سعر هذه العملية وفقًا للموقع والمستشفى، ويفضل دائمًا استشارة الأطباء المختصين للحصول على تقدير دقيق لتكلفة العملية بناءً على حالة المريض والمتطلبات الصحية الفردية.